Monday, November 29, 2010

Reflection for Week 5

This week, I learnt about meta search engine and subject directory. After using both search facilities to search for my related topic, I realised that they have their own advantages and disadvantages. I found out that using meta search engine is more effective than using subject directory because it accesses to several popular search engines such as Yahoo!, Google, Bing and Ask simultaneously. I used MetaCrawler as my meta search engine to try out for my research topic and was able to get some useful information. It has a higher relevance and more search results as compared to subject directory. Furthermore, it is easy to use.

I used Yahoo! Directory as my subject directory. Subject directory which is also known as subject catalog is compiled by human. The topics are arranged in a hierarchical way which enables users to select and browse a particular category. The information given in the websites are accurate due to human compilation. However, it does not produce many search results as MetaCrawler do. Therefore, I will definitely choose MetaCrawler rather than Yahoo! Directory as it is useful to me. Besides, I do not have to go to different search engines to search for resources related to my topic.

I feel that using site feeds in my blog allow me to link up the URL of important websites which shares frequently updated content. The benefits of using site feeds are centered mainly around how easy they are to use and how easy it is to adapt them so I can get exactly what I need. It also automatically let my readers know when my blog has been updated.

One thing I like best about collaborating on Wiki with the other students is that I am able to get useful resources from the EIR Wiki. It allows me to share and discuss information with the other students who have selected the same research topic as me. Through all these sharing and discussion, I am able to gain more knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment